Director of Distribution
The purpose of this position is under general direction from the General Manager, provides organizational goals, vision and leadership for all Distribution functions including: Distribution Engineering, Developer Services, Construction Maintenance and Valving Services. The Director plans, directs, and manages all aspects of the Distribution Division including the design, construction, operation and maintenance of WaterOne infrastructure to ensure reliable distribution of water to WaterOne’s service area that will meet or exceed WaterOne standards, State and Federal regulations, and customer needs. The Director will work closely with decision makers in other divisions to identify, recommend, develop, implement and support existing policies and procedures or develop alternatives. The Director is also responsible for managing the performance of the employees of the division.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Plan, coordinate, oversee and evaluates all functions, organization, and activities of the Distribution Division to ensure effective and efficient operations and quality service to all customers and stakeholders.
· Provides Water Distribution vision, direction, and goal setting for WaterOne that is consistent with the utility’s mission, values, and strategic planning initiatives.
· Manages the performance of the Distribution Division staff, including goal setting, delegating, and scheduling, measuring performance, and training, disciplining, and assisting with employment decisions.
· Coordinates the activities of Distribution Engineering, Developer Services, Construction & Maintenance, and Valves & Services Departments to ensure the reliable distribution of water that meets all safety, regulatory requirements and customer needs.
· Guides the development and implementation of new technology, techniques, methods, and procedures to increase efficiency, safety, and good public relations.
· Directs the development and implementation of projects assigned to the division. Works with other divisions to coordinate the development and implementation of projects that affect the operations of the division.
· Continually oversees the contributions, and reviews the Master Plan studies and needs assessment, the long-range development of new water distribution facilities, and mutually coordinate with the Director of Production for the timely construction of Master Plan Projects related to the distribution system.
· Develop and maintain stakeholder relationships such as with Public Works Directors within Johnson County to review and update them on WaterOne distribution projects.
· Develop and maintain internal relationships within WaterOne, as well as stakeholder relationships within the community, various governmental entities concerning WaterOne Distribution projects.
· Develop and maintain industry relationships with other utilities, and/or professional organizations like the American Water Works Association (AWWA) or AMWA.
· Participate and/or encourage staff to participate in water industry research and activities such as: Water Research Foundation (WRF), AWWA, etc. projects providing awareness to WaterOne on leading edge technologies and practices.
· Make presentations to the Board of Directors on matters affecting the Distribution Division and requiring Board action or general knowledge of matters within the Division.
· Oversee the maintenance function of the distribution system with emphasis on immediate response to interruptions in service to restore normal operations.
· Oversee the construction of new distribution system expansions and the relocation of existing distribution system including the oversight of easement acquisitions.
· Coordinate the construction efforts of contractors who provide construction services for WaterOne, as needed.
· Monitor the Rules and Regulations, laws, compliance and WaterOne policies as they relate to Distribution Operations and make improvements when necessary through coordination with WaterOne’s General Counsel and Director-Finance. Provide the leadership and direction for the continued development of WaterOne’s Asset Management Program with regard to the distribution system.
· Preparation, implementation and monitoring of operating and capital budgets.
· Acts as General Manager when requested during General Manager’s absence.
· Responds to customer or stakeholders’ concerns using established procedures and protocol.
· Attends Board and Board Committee meetings, as well as other public or staff meetings as necessary.
· Makes periodic presentations to ensure employees, Board, and other stakeholders are adequately informed on water distribution matters.
· Performs other job duties as assigned.
Customer Service Commitment
WaterOne employees shall continuously strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both their internal and external customers. Questions and concerns shall be acknowledged on the same day whenever possible, but no later than the next business day. Issues shall be resolved as promptly as possible, with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction.
These key core competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee at WaterOne:
· Communicates Effectively – Demonstrates ability to listen and express oneself effectively and shares information as appropriate for the position needed to perform the job effectively.
· Conscientiousness – Expresses the motivation to perform one's job in a careful, thorough way that adheres to the standards of honesty and integrity.
· Customer Focus – Demonstrates a concern for satisfying both internal and external customers and builds collaborative relationships with customers and stakeholders.
· Interpersonal Savvy – Demonstrates the ability to effectively coordinate with others to achieve goals and solve problems by maintaining flexibility and open mindedness.
· Problem Solving/Drive for Results – Demonstrates the ability to find solutions to complex problems and consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
In addition to the core competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
· Creating a Positive Work Environment – Treats people with respect, encourages teamwork, and expresses confidence in people's ability to master their roles.
· Decision Making and Judgement – Makes timely, informed decisions that consider the facts, goals, constraints, and risks.
· Ethics and Integrity – Earns others’ trust and respect through honesty and professionalism by adhering to a set of core values.
· Planning and Organizing – Coordinates ideas and resources to achieve goals in daily tasks.
· Safety and Security Focus – Adheres to all workplace safety and security policies, standards, and practices.
· Water Distribution Systems – Knowledge of operating, calibrating, maintaining, trouble-shooting, and diagnosing system-specific infrastructure components and equipment.
In addition to the core and position competencies, these supervisor competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
· Developing Others – Develops people to meet both their career and the organization's goals while creating trust and a positive work environment.
· Ensures Accountability and Manages People’s Performance – Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments, complete tasks, manage performance, and provide timely feedback to meet expectations.
· Strategic Mindset – Understands the business by using a strategic and global perspective to make complex decisions, explore innovative solutions, and build networks to make the big picture attainable.
Manager – Distribution Engineering
Manager – Developer Services
Manager – Construction Maintenance (CM)
Manager – Valving Services (VS)
Administrative Assistant – Distribution
Required Education, Skills & Experience
· Requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a comparable program (Civil preferred), from an accredited university.
· Current registration as a Professional Engineer with the state of Kansas, or current eligibility to apply for certification is required.
· 12 years of experience in the water utility or comparable industry, with an emphasis on distribution operations, engineering design and construction contract preparation.
· Certification by California State University Sacramento in Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance is required within 12 months of date in position.
· Certification as a Grade IV Water Distribution Operator is required within 12 months of date in position.
· Requires progressively responsible supervisory and management experience, proven leadership skills, including the ability to effectively plan, train, direct and evaluate both professional engineers and non-professional personnel.
· Requires thorough knowledge of water distribution systems and related technology.
· Requires the ability to provide technically correct and timely forecasting, progress and procedural reports.
· Must be able to demonstrate good judgment, decision making and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to apply creative thinking to encourage new initiatives and challenges to the status quo.
· Excellent communication skills, both orally and written, for dealing with other WaterOne departments, the public, contractors, city officials, developers, public officials and WaterOne Board.
· Must be well organized and professional and must relate well to others both orally and in writing.
· Must be able to handle a diversity of concurrent work demands and deal well with deadlines.
· Must maintain good working relationships with employees, customers and other outside contacts.
· Must have a cooperative attitude and exhibit diplomacy and judgment when working with the public, fellow employees, developers, contractors, or other public officials.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software with emphasis in Excel, Word and Outlook.
· Requires proficiency or ability to become proficient in the use of SAP, GIS, and AIMS software applications.
· Must be in possession of valid driver’s license and continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
· Must be available in certain emergency situations in accordance with EOP or other incidents requiring Director input.
· Must pass post offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
· Postgraduate degree in Engineering or comparable program.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for several hours a day. They must be able to move from one location to another (outdoor worksites, WaterOne facilities, etc.) occasionally. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. Additionally, they must be able to wear personal protective equipment and navigate construction sites.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates primarily in a professional office environment with occasional visits to the field. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate except when in the field on a jobsite.
Equal Opportunity Employer
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and business decisions. We also prohibit harassment and retaliation in the workplace and in our dealings with the public. We encourage and welcome diversity of backgrounds in our workforce. WaterOne complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA).