Principal Electrical Engineer
Job Title: Principal Engineer, Electrical Department: Engineering -910
Reporting Relationship: Chief Engineer Exempt Status: Exempt
Salary: $44.32 ($92,180.14 - $131,286.86) - $63.12
Perform professional engineering work in the planning, design and construction of the electrical and instrumentation elements of water works projects; may also participate in contract negotiations to provide electric power resources; and performs other related duties as assigned. Interface with other project engineers, Operations (Purification), and the Maintenance groups regarding their electrical engineering needs.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Complete engineering assignments requiring the use of judgment and initiative in developing solutions to problems.
2. Performs electrical and control systems engineering planning for capital construction and/or maintenance projects on water treatment systems, pumping stations, storage facilities and other water works facilities and equipment.
3. Plan for future system needs, develop and implement maintenance and construction design projects, from inception to completion.
4. Creates newly approved bid projects in SAP for project management and tracking.
5. Oversees the project team for the life cycle of the project. This includes, setup of security clearances, contractor schedule approval, inspection of work performed and closeout of the project.
6. Researches and identifies project design requirements; performs complex calculations and prepares estimates of time and material costs.
7. Serves as discipline project engineer for projects designed in-house and by engineering consultants.
8. Oversees the design and installation of instrumentation and process control elements.
9. Prepares plans and specifications for the construction and installation of electrical and control systems to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards.
10. Collaborates with other engineers and departments regarding potential engineering projects.
11. Monitors work in progress, including field investigations, to ensure compliance with approved plans, specifications and standards; compiles and maintains records of approved projects.
12. Performs final acceptance test which includes working with operators and updating of the O&M manual.
13. Research, develop and recommends standards, specifications and procedures for the construction, operation and maintenance of electrical and control systems equipment.
14. Compile data and write reports regarding existing or potential electrical engineering studies or projects.
15. Performs economic and technical analysis related to energy and capacity purchases. Participates in negotiating and drafting power delivery contracts.
16. Perform detailed calculation to compute and establish construction or installation standards or specifications.
17. Prepare specifications for purchases of materials and equipment.
18. Supervise or train project team members as necessary.
19. Inspect completed installations and observe operations to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational, safety, or environmental standards
20.Plan or implement research methodology or procedures to apply principles of electrical theory to engineering projects.
21. Manages receipt of open bids as required by Alabama Bid State Law and manages for each project.
22. Able to lead a Pre-Bid Conference to ensure all vendors have the appropriate information needed to submit for the approved project.
23. Carryout other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering required.
Master's Degree in engineering/MBA is preferred
Experience & Areas of Expertise:
Ten (10) years or more with systems and design such as Industrial Power System Components, Control Design Systems for Water Treatment Plants, Instrumentation and Control Elements, Development of contract specifications and drawings. Control Panel Design, Calibration of Instrumentation and Control Elements.
In-depth knowledge of NEC, Electrical Safety in the workplace, Arc Flash Analysis and studies, Pump Station Analysis and Design, HVAC Controls, PLC Programming, IBC, IEBC, NFPA, Local City and County Codes.
Experience in the analysis, simulation, monitoring, control, optimization, and automation of electrical power systems using analytical electrical engineering software such as ETAP or SKM.
Excellent analytical, organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
Broad Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is preferred.
AutoCAD, and ESRI/GIS experience is preferred.
Two (2) years or more of supervisory experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Professional Engineer License in the state of Alabama is required, or the ability to obtain such by reciprocity in the State of Alabama within 6 months
Energy Efficiency Management Certification is a plus
Valid Alabama Driver License
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is typically in an office/field environment but requires inspection of the facilities where the employee will also be exposed to outside weather conditions and an industrial plant environment which involves exposure to elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. Work environment also involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following industry safety procedures.