Position: Scientist I
Division: Environmental Compliance
Posted: January 8, 2021
Rate: $49,000 - $53,045 salaried
Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m., January 21, 2021
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Scientist I. They will perform moderately complex Scientist functions for various utilities or environmental projects under the supervision of an Associate Project Manager, Environmental Compliance Manager, Project Manager, Group Manager or Director of Engineering and Construction.
- Analyze data and related information to prepare reports, permits or licenses in support of routine water, sewer, stormwater and air quality projects.
- Provides special study scientist reports.
- Designs, drafts, and details component parts of projects; makes related computations and estimates.
- Performs routine scientific calculations, design concept assessments, permitting, water quality sampling and testing, data management, for assigned projects.
- Prepares permit licenses, studies, grant applications and related reports for assigned projects.
- Make field visits in connection with planning, design, and environmental issues for assigned projects; recommends changes and/or modifications to supervisors.
- Maintains records and prepares accurate reports as required.
- Serves as a liaison between technical services vendors and PWSA Departments.
- May direct the work of Scientists, GIS Specialists, Technicians, Inspectors, other Scientists I and/or survey parties on a project basis as assigned.
- Perform activities and functions to support the Department of Engineering and Construction.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must clearly show a bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Biological or other related scientific discipline or field. Envision, LEED, Certified Wetlands Scientist or similar certifications are preferred.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and techniques in science.
- Basic knowledge of laws, codes, regulations, ordnances, and directives in water supply and sewage works, as well as environmental permits.
- Perform computations related to scientific issues.
- Maintain records and prepare accurate reports.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the public.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They also must regularly lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
- Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
- Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
- Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
- Travel between 50 and 75 percent.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to HR@pgh2o.com, by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.