Position: Project Manager
Division: Engineering and Construction
Posted: September 24, 2020
Rate: $79,000.00 to $95,000.00
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Project Manager. The Project Manager will primarily be responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing the work of assigned professional, technical and clerical employees in the planning, design, and/or management of construction of complex, multi-disciplined PWSA Capital and urgent facility/asset repair projects involving the Authority’s water and sewer systems or water treatment and pumping facilities. Seeking experienced candidates with a design or construction focus who have managed projects greater than $5 Million.
- Reviews and directs the work performed by consultants; supervises and directs the design and/or management of construction of Capital or Operations related projects.
- Provides technical assistance as requested or required and mentors and coordinates with peers, junior engineers, and technicians.
- Prepares RFPs for consultant services, bid documents, ordinances, board resolutions, and other required documentation for the full implementation of PWSA Capital or Operations projects.
- Evaluates changes to study, design and/or construction projects that substantially impact their scope, budget, or schedule and recommends and implements approved corrective action to adhere to the approved project schedule and budget.
- Monitors progress and performance against the project plan and identifies risks and schedule delays.
- Recommends approval of change orders, requisitions for payment, and other necessary documentation
- Meets with representatives of other governmental agencies, City Departments, consultants, contractors and public on proposed projects
- Directs the performance of design work performed in-house and under consultant agreements, as well as the performance of construction work under contract.
- Ensures that RFP's, specifications, designs, contract provisions and work performed comply fully with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Maintains records and prepares accurate reports, correspondence, etc. as requested or required; plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes and controls the materials, equipment and personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
- Contributes as a key member of the Engineering and Construction team and represents the Authority in interactions with employees, the public, water customers, and other agencies and organizations.
- Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees. Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel and/or other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental, or closely related field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressive experience with at least four (4) years of experience as a design and/or resident engineer on major construction projects. Water/wastewater experience is preferred.
- Professional Engineering License in Civil Engineering or related field issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the planning and design and/or management of water and wastewater capital and operations projects and familiarity with typical municipal procurement requirements. Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the administration of wastewater projects; of the safety hazards and precautions of the work; and of relevant labor agreements and personnel policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and conduct multi-tasking efforts.
- Proficient in supervising and directing the work of assigned professional, technical, and clerical personnel; to plan, monitor and evaluate the work of self, staff, and PWSA consultants and contractors.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies, and the public.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency within one of the following Pennsylvania counties at the time of appointment and remain a resident within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA:
Verification of permanent residency is required at time of appointment.
A medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting and conduct field site visits during design and/or construction activities. They also must regularly lift or move up to 20 pounds.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to HR@pgh2o.com, by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.