Senior Group Manager, Stormwater
Position: Senior Group Manager, Stormwater
Division: Engineering and Construction
Posted: September 15, 2020
Rate: To be determined
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Senior Group Manager, Stormwater. They will be primarily responsible for the planning, coordinating, and managing work activities and the overall development of the Stormwater Group for the Engineering and Construction Department of the Authority, including shaping PWSA’s approach to stormwater with other ongoing regional planning efforts. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Engineering.
- Assists the Director and Deputy Director of Engineering and Construction in monitoring and overseeing all engineering and design work done by the Authority’s consultants or construction firms relating to conventional stormwater assets (conduits, structures, detention facilities, etc.) and green stormwater infrastructure (bioretention, bioswales, subsurface storage, permeable pavement, etc.).
- Develops a long-range vision, mission, and strategic planning processes for the Authority’s Stormwater Program (Capital Improvement and Operations) including budgeting, scheduling, project priority lists, implementation, and oversees program to ensure projects are on schedule, on budget, successfully accomplishing the approved scope of work, and meeting objectives, performance standards, and quality standards.
- Assesses team workload versus capacity to ensure completion of approved projects and respective deliverables.
- Provides mentoring, training, and/or technical assistance to Stormwater Group Staff, as requested, or required. As well as provide oversight to PWSA staff, consultants, and contractors focusing on projects related to the Authority’s stormwater assets (gray and green infrastructure).
- Provides technical reviews of documents including design reports, hydrologic and hydraulic modeling studies, design drawings, specifications, operating procedures, and requests for proposals and/or assigns responsibility for technical review of such documents.
- Reviews and prepares requests for proposals (RFPs) for consultant services, bid documents, government ordinances, board resolutions, standard operating procedures, etc. for Stormwater Projects.
- Prepares written communications for staff, consultants, contractors, agencies, public, and other project stakeholders.
- Assists in developing policies, procedures, and templates for use by the Stormwater Group Staff.
- Attends meetings, conferences, etc. as assigned and represents the Authority, as requested.
- Works collaboratively with other Senior Managers within the Department, Executive Management, and other Departments within the Authority.
- Meets with representatives of other governmental agencies, City Departments, consultants, contractors, vendors, and public on proposed projects, problems arising in the work, etc.
- Ensures that requests for proposals (RFP's), specifications, designs, contract provisions and work performed comply fully with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Plans, develops, directs, coordinates,
organizes and controls the materials, equipment and personnel under
jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum
convenience to the public, safety of employees, and regulatory compliance.
- Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, professional standards of conduct, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental, or closely related field. An advanced degree is preferred.
- A total of fifteen (15) years of progressive experience with at least five (5) years of senior level project management and/or group management experience within the engineering field (design and/or construction). Stormwater experience required.
- The applicant must have a Professional Engineering License in Civil Engineering or related field issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or must apply and receive this License within 6 months of employment.
- Working knowledge of the planning and design and/or management of stormwater capital and operations projects (both gray infrastructure and green infrastructure) and familiarity with typical municipal procurement requirements. Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the administration of stormwater projects; of the safety hazards and precautions of the work; and of relevant labor agreements and personnel policies and procedures.
- Proficient in supervising and directing the work of assigned professional, technical, and clerical personnel; to plan, monitor and evaluate the work of self, staff, and PWSA consultants and contractors. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies, and the public.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency within one of the following Pennsylvania counties at the time of appointment and remain a resident within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA:
Verification of permanent residency is required at time of appointment.
A medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They also must regularly lift or move up to 20 pounds.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to HR@pgh2o.com, by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.